The so-called Chicago (Photo) School refers to the style that emerged since its founding in 1937 as the 'New Bauhaus - American School of Design'. Of importance for the history of photography were teachers and students such as Harry CALLAHAN (teacher), Dave HEATH, Kenneth JOSPHSON (teacher), György KEPES (teacher), Ray K. METZKER, László MOHOLY-NAGY (teacher), Charles W. NIEDRINGHAUS, Frank PAULIN, Paul ROSIN, Arthur SIEGEL (teacher), Aaron SISKIND (teacher), Henry Holmes SMITH, Geoff WINNINGHAM and others.
After a stay in London, Bauhaus master László MOHOLY-NAGY moved to Chicago in 1937 at the invitation of the Chicago Association of Art and Industry to found a new design school, which he called 'New Bauhaus'. Due to financial problems, the school was briefly closed in 1938. However, Walter Paepcke, chairman of Container Corporation of America and an early champion of industrial design in America, soon offered his personal support, and in 1939 László MOHOLY-NAGY reopened the school as the 'Chicago School of Design'. This became the 'Institute of Design' in 1944, and in 1949 was incorporated into the newly formed university system of the Illinois Institute of Technology, the first institution in the United States to offer a doctorate in design. Today, the Institute of Design collection includes articles, letters, photographs, and other materials documenting the history of the Institute and the work of faculty and students.
About photographers associated with the Chicago Schhol
- Harry CALLAHAN, Dave HEATH, Kenneth JOSPHSON, György KEPES, Ray K. METZKER, László MOHOLY-NAGY, Charles W. NIEDRINGHAUS, Frank PAULIN, Paul ROSIN, Arthur SIEGEL, Aaron SISKIND, Henry Holmes SMITH, Geoff WINNINGHAM, and others.
Photo books by photographers associated with the Chicago School
- CALLAHAN, Harry
METZKER, Ray K.
NIEDRINGHAUS, Charles W.
SMITH, Henry Holmes